Thursday, December 13, 2012

The End of Bachelor's Degree: Wow

Here I am: at the end of the semester and facing my fate of obtaining a Bachelor's Degree.

I never thought I would see this day so fast. I was here for 3 1/2 years and time went flying by.

This class, Multigenre Literacy, was one of the most interesting classes I could take here at CSUN. I think it's because it had a variety of things that we could apply to the classroom. I mean, think about it: Myths, poetry, media, and globalization within a movie. Before this class, I was thinking about using books and poems to help my students understand English better. Then during this class, I realized there were more options that I could do to make English visual for my students, which is perfect because all deaf students are visual. There is no way of making lessons auditory.

Song lyrics, as much as poetry could be different from music, can help my deaf students understand the meaning of poetry because this is a part of popular culture. Almost every deaf student knows the lyrics to popular songs because that's what their hearing friends listen to. They're curious as to why someone would want to listen to songs, so they could google the lyrics and figure it out. That can be applicable to poetry to make it visual for them because I can upload videos that have ASL translations for songs.

For myths, that's a tougher lesson I could teach my deaf students because as much as myths are an older tradition of our culture, it might be hard for them to understand. However, I could incorporate deaf myths into their lessons. By that, I mean sharing stories of the deaf community of different deaf characters that were created to help motivate the deaf community. (I have no idea if this exists. I'm pretty much making this up in hopes that it's true!)

Media is the most important thing I could ever use for my deaf students. I can use videos that use ASL, use movies that show morals about the deaf community or morals that fit in how they feel, and I can use video games to allow them to learn different things. Like my example about Assassin's Creed - how that can be used to learn history. However, video games are a little bit harder because some video games don't have subtitles for the voice-overs. 

The only thing that could be the hardest thing for me to do is globalization. If I had to teach that to my high school students, it would be tough for me to explain. I would have to read up on more of that stuff because I feel like I learned only basic stuff so far. Even though I took Wexler twice (Popular Culture and MultiGan) and he mentioned globalization in both classes. It needs to be taught to me more than two times, I guess.

This class was a great class. I loved all the assignments and I loved how interactive it was. I don't get to experience this kind of class often so it was a nice break for us to be able to work together, even though I don't like group work. Group work in this class really benefited me a lot. I'm going to miss this class, but I'm proud of the work I've done in this class and I look forward to being able to apply some of the stuff I learned towards to my teaching career.


No comments:

Post a Comment