Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Greetings everyone

Hello readers.

This blog will be about my journey through a course I'm taking for my major. It's interesting and I hope I will be interesting enough for people to read my posts.

My name is Alicia and I am from California. I am deaf and I was raised in the hearing community. I'm always going to be in the hearing community, but I was finally a part of the deaf community when I started taking ASL classes during high school.

My passion is to teach English. Before, I was willing to teach hearing students but I realized that would be too much stress on me and I realized that Deaf and Hard of Hearing students need more support for their English skills. I've noticed that a lot of teachers that my deaf and hard of hearing friends had were babying them, allowing them to pass when they weren't prepared to pass the class. They weren't able to learn what they needed to improve on because they thought it was better for them to just pass the class. I want them to feel confident about themselves and be able to feel more comfortable with who they are among hearing people. After all, English is the primary language that hearing people use.

I love to read even though school keeps me from enjoying my reading. I enjoy learning about the different kinds of readings that I wasn't exposed to as much during my younger years. As I move along in college, I am realizing that there is a lot of literature out there that I want to read. So with the use of my Kindle and hopefully browsing through bookstores, if they're still out there, I will be able to expand my mind with all sorts of literature.

I hope that this blog will allow for me to express myself as I go on this journey of learning more about how literature, media, technology, and others can be applied to the education system.

3 comments:

  1. I am very glad that I stumbled upon your post first. I am very interested in the Deaf community although I must say I do not know much about it. A dear friend of mine is working very hard to becoming an interpreter and I try my best to absorb some of her knowledge. What does this have to do with literature? I think what excites me the most is learning how a member of the deaf community views literature, especially how it is portrayed in other media. I am sure that I will get a chance to work with you on something in this class and I am excited for what we may learn from each other. I too would like to teach English as I am sure many of our classmates do. I think that it is great that you would like to lend your skills and experience to teaching Deaf and Hard of Hearing students. I am sure that your perspective will inspire many students to find a passion for literature and writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it very inspiring that you plan to teach hard of hearing students. Your passion will take you far in you teaching career. I plan on teaching English as well at the middle school level. I personally want to teach remedial children who are being shuffled through our education system. I praise our future educators because I truly believe some are born to teach and our passion in what drives us. I also love reading. I enjoy going to antique book shops and looking for old editions of the classics. I have a nook but I rarely use it. There's something about the smell and physical touch of a book that draws me to reading. I know kind of nerdy but literature is my passion and I hope to share my passion for reading with my future students. I look forward to follow your blog and hear more of your thoughts on your teaching career.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that you want to pursue your teaching career within the deaf community. I truly feel that there's some teachers out there that prefer to just pass them rather than actually teaching them. When I was in high school I had couple deaf people in my class and my teacher hardly allowed them to participate in class. It seemed that she had no patience for them. That is completely incorrect. Every student is smart and has the ability to learn just like the rest. There should be no exclusion. I am sure that schools are in high demand of teachers who can teach deaf students. With your knowledge and passion I am sure you will do great work and inspire many deaf students.

    ReplyDelete