Wednesday, September 19, 2012

What Do I Think about Poetry?

Poetry, for me, isn't my favorite. However, when I was in high school, my teacher tried her best to accommodate me. Why did she have to do that? There was a particular assignment called the sound poem. It was frustrating for me because it meant I had to somehow write the sounds I was hearing. That's kinda impossible for me - I only say kinda because I was able to - but I thought it was impossible to do it because my sounds are different than others'. She encouraged me to try my best. That's when I wrote my favorite poem - Dr. Pepper. It was a mix of sound and sensory poem. I really liked to write that poem because Dr. Pepper is one of my favorite sodas.

Another poem that I enjoyed writing for that class was a poem where I compared myself with my brother as we drive a car. I noticed that there were similarities between me and my brother as we each drove our own car, so I was able to use that and applied it to a poem. It was cute and funny. I will post both poems as soon as I find them.

Another thing I never quite liked about poems was the rhyme. I can understand when something rhymes, but to explain how exactly it rhymes is difficult for me to do. I never liked it. Never will. I will always notice when a poem has a sort of pattern for rhyme such as ABBA, CDDC, etc. It's something that will catch my eye.

I never liked to analyze poems. I didn't think poems were meant to be open to interpretation. I always thought it was an expression of how people felt. I never, when I wrote poems, meant for people to analyze my own poems. I just wanted to express myself or follow the rules of how each particular poem is set up.

1 comment:

  1. I think its great that your teacher was able to accommodate you. It is important for all students to be ale to participate in the assignments. As teachers we have to find ways to get our students attentions so that they can better understand the concepts of our lessons.

    Its ok that you don't like poetry. Everyone likes different things. MAny writers only write for themselves as an outlet to better understand themselves as individuals. Its actually good therapy to write. When some one writes creatively they unleash ideas and emotions that they didn't even know existed.

    ReplyDelete