Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Works of a Poetry Analysis paper.. bear with me :)

I've been looking for a poem to analyze and I've found this part to be difficult as many poems are short and I feel like it's not sufficient enough for me to analyze as I can't even imagine how to start analyzing a short poem. However,  I feel like this is a good way to develop a paper because even though I don't sound formal, I'm able to answer questions when I look back at what I've written and I'm able to have other readers help me by giving feedback. Having this kind of outline/scratch rough draft allows me to expand more later. I also put down different secondary sources at the end because I can't decide what I want to use until I realize what I want to talk about in my paper. I hope this makes sense and that it doesn't bother any of you reading along with my blog.

Example: The Red Wheelbarrow by William Carlos Williams. While this poem has physical imagery, how can one take from this poem so many interpretations? A person can imagine white chickens, clucking, bucking, walking around next to the red wheelbarrow. But someone could say that the rain is glazed over the red wheelbarrow. Another person could say that the glazed rain is beside the white chickens on the ground, which could be a puddle. "So much depends/ upon / a red wheel / barrow" - what could that mean? Does it mean so much stuff is in the red wheel barrow and they depend on it to support the stuff?

This poem is set up in four couplets which are set up in an unique way: three words the first line and one word the second line of each couplet. If you can look at the couplets separately, on its own, it would seem as if you're saying it to give a picture in your mind. "so much depends / upon": one can think of something that can relate to their lives. For example, I could think to myself "so much depends upon my graduation. I know I have to get into the credential program". The next couplet is "a red wheel / barrow" which a person can visualize the red wheelbarrow because that's a simple description of what can pop up in your mind. "glazed with rain / water" could be someone's skin got covered in rainwater, a puddle made the ground glazed with rainwater, the chickens are glazed with rainwater, the red wheelbarrow is glazed with rainwater, the list goes on. This couplet makes everyone think and imagine something different that can be glazed with rainwater. "Beside the white / chickens" could be that you imagine yourself standing by the white chickens looking at the rainwater and the wheelbarrow. It could be that the puddle is next to the wheelbarrow and the chickens. There are many different ways to look at each couplet and that's what Williams wanted us readers to do: use our imagination.

I found it interesting that Williams decided to split "wheelbarrow" and "rainwater". These are two bound words, but in the poem, he decided to break them up. He either wanted his readers to focus on the fact that you can do anything you want writing a poem or he wanted to prove a point. But what point is he trying to prove? That's what I will try to figure out as I continue to analyze other parts of this poem.

I want to say that there is something about sound in this poem. The vowels are emphasized with almost every word used in the poem. But I could be of bad judgement considering I can't hear :)

In my Writing about Literature class, my teacher showed a video about The Red Wheelbarrow. I want to somehow use this to incorporate my interpretation of the poem, but it's hard to refer to a video when it's someone else's drawing incorporated into a video. Here's the video.



(secondary sources possibilties: 
"Poem of the week: The Red Wheelbarrow by William Carlos Williams." Europe Intelligence Wire 8 Mar. 2010. General OneFile. Web. 13 Sep. 2012.
Document URL
http://go.galegroup.com.libproxy.csun.edu/ps/i.do?id=GALE%7CA220643117&v=2.1&u=csunorthridge&it=r&p=ITOF&sw=w
 
Source Citation   (MLA 7th Edition)
YOUNGBER, QUENTIN. "Williams's THE RED WHEELBARROW." The Explicator 58.3 (2000): 152. General OneFile. Web. 13 Sep. 2012.
Document URL
http://go.galegroup.com.libproxy.csun.edu/ps/i.do?id=GALE%7CA63723170&v=2.1&u=csunorthridge&it=r&p=ITOF&sw=w)

No comments:

Post a Comment